Dr. Jenny Yoo-Park, Dr. Sona Bezmekian and the team of professionals at Palo Alto Orthodontics understand that orthodontic treatment with braces for patients living in or working near Mountain View CA is an investment of time and money for their patients. They give their patients in Santa Clara County CA a thorough understanding of how to get the best outcome from wearing braces.
1. Maintain good oral hygiene habits: Wearing braces requires the patient to practice good brushing and flossing regimens. Your orthodontist will instruct you on how to clean your braces properly and how to floss without interfering with your archwires. While conscientious dental hygiene should already be part of your daily routine, it is important to continuing the habits by brushing after every meal, flossing frequently, and using mouthwash regularly. A dentist’s check-up twice a year is also important.
2. Eat a healthy diet: Because of their construction and position in your mouth, braces do put some limits and what foods you can eat during your treatment. Some types of foods and drinks that you should stay away from are sugary, sticky, chewy, and acidic foods or drinks. Candies, chewing gum, and soda should all be removed from your diet. Crunchy and hard foods can also damage your braces and should be avoided if possible. Dr. Jenny Yoo-park and Dr. Sona Bezmekian recommends their patients use this opportunity to make some healthy lifestyle and diet changes.
3. Wear a mouthguard: A great way to avoid any chance of your braces breaking while playing sports is to wear a mouthguard. Braces are tough and strong, and while they are designed to treat and correct dental malocclusions and improve your smile, they can sometimes break. If your braces break, it can be painful and cause delays in your treatment time. Call your orthodontist as soon as possible so that your braces can be fixed immediately.
4. Talk to your orthodontist: Keep the flow of information between you and your orthodontist open. If you’re feeling discomfort because of your braces, schedule a visit with your orthodontist as soon as possible. A simple adjustment to your braces may be all that is necessary to relieve your pain.
5. Remember to smile: Smiling strengthens the muscles that control your mouth and helps to release good, healthy endorphins. Palo Alto Orthodontics says that smiling helps your lips from getting caught in your braces, too. And it’s great practice for showing off those pearly whites once your braces come off!
Dr. Jenny Yoo-Park, Dr. Sona Bekmezian and the team at Palo Alto Orthodontics are specialists in braces. If you have any questions pertaining to Invisalign, Invisalign Teen, braces and clear braces in Mountain View CA, Santa Clara County area, Palo Alto CA, Menlo Park CA and Atherton CA or would like to schedule an complementary consultation with Dr. Jenny Yoo-Park or Dr. Sona Bekmezian contact Palo Alto Orthodontics at: (650) 327-2310